EXEminer is a Spotlight plug-in that enables Mac OS X to display the icons of Windows executables and shortcuts.
Download (Universal Binary): EXEminer-0.3.pkg Please comment!
This Installer package installs the plug-in to your home directory. (No admin privileges or reboot / re-log-in required.)
WARNING: This is beta software. You are using it AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Requirements: (may change in the future)
- Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard recommended. (10.6 Snow Leopard works with a workaround. 10.4 Tiger may work, too. I can’t test this.)
- wine (to resolve shortcuts): either standard “.wine” prefix or Mike Kronenbergs “WineBottler.app” default prefix. Tell me if you need something else.
It doesn’t hurt if you have these installed, too:
- XQuartz X11 18.104.22.168
- Apples Developer Tools
But I am trying to get independent from these… Please give me feedback!
How does it work:
EXEminer extracts icons and sets them as custom icon so that exe-files look the same as in Windows. The icon is stored in the resource fork of the exe-file, as it would be, if you set a custom icon yourself. The exe-file’s data fork stays unmodified.
- Spotlight does not care about “.wine” folder because it is invisible. (workaround: mv .wine wine && ln -s .wine wine)
- Does not work on read only drives, like CDs
- Icons in Dock stacks are not visible until Dock restart
To uninstall EXEminer do the following:
- Remove the plugin from: /Users/yourusername/Library/Spotlight/
- There might be a temporary folder in your home directory. If you mind, you can remove it via terminal with this command: “rm -dR ~/.EXEminer” (This is why it’s beta…)
- If you want to remove an icon from a file. Open up the information panel in Finder, click on the icon and hit backspace.
- If you’re on Snow Leopard, download the hack and select the option to revert it.
- 2009/11/19: 0.3:
- fixed a bug with spaces in filenames
- snow leopard compatibility
- slight performance improvement
- 2009/06/23: 0.2:
- some performance improvements
- try to get independent form Apple’s Developer Tools
- bug fix: some exe files were skipped
- 2009/06/11: 0.1 – initial release:
- support for Vista (higher resolution) icons
- support for Umlauts